Re: Wired advertising

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@www.aeiveos.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 14:01:17 MST

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Spike Jones wrote:

> OK, how about Tommy Hilfiger. All the clothing produced by that
> company turns its wearers into walking billboards.

I'm not sure if you understand why this is the case. I didn't
run across an explanation for this until quite recently.

The problem is that in the fashion industry that there is no
protection for designs. Someone can reproduce a CK/DKNY/TH
design and sell it at a much cheaper price. Now, you can
however protect a "name" with either trademark or copyright
protection. So if you put your name on something, you can
go after anyone who makes a copy of that name on look-alike
clothing.

It all comes down to the fact that people who have megabucks to
pay for their clothes want people to really know that they paid
megabucks for their clothes and the designers are happy to cater
to that desire.

Robert