Wired advertising

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 22:57:11 MST

> John S. Novak, III ...can't stand Wired....the table of contents is on
> page 41...
> the pages before that were advertising, and the one "article" before
> it was a montage of advertising with prices and URLs...
> They should, quite literally, pay me to increase their distribution
> thus generating more advertising income.

OK, how about Tommy Hilfiger. All the clothing produced by that
company turns its wearers into walking billboards. Consider Ron Jon's
Surfshop (one of a kind, you know). Eeeeeverything in the store has
the Ron Jon's Surfshop (one of a kind) logo. Makes ya crazy. The
guy that started Ron Jon's was from near where I grew up. He went
to one semester of business school, in which they often repeated the
importance of advertising. He grokked the message, rented hundreds
of billboards advertising Ron Jon's, then all the clothing advertises
itself,
and of course its wildly popular in a country whose favorite sport is
championship rassling.

Nowthen, extropians, I suggest we take this one logical step further, and
finance all our endevours with a shell company, whose *only* product
is advertisement of itself. This advertisement will be for sale, of
course. We would not *give* away our advertisement like other
less forward looking companies, oh no. We will CHARGE good
money for it, and the more potential suckers it might reach the
more we charge. We go IPO with such a company. Since it will
project little if any profit, the stock should be worth a fortune.
Might take the record for the highest PE ratio away from
Amazon.com and simultaneously one-up Wired and Ron Jons.
[end rant]. [John, this is why I gave up on Wired too.]

> Notice that the projected lifespan of those who will be 40 years old
> next year is 135 years total. Now notice that the projected lifespan
> of those who will be 30 years old next year is... 130 years total?

John, this is to demonstrate that those of us who turn 40 next
year are a particularly sturdy lot. {8^D spike