Feuding on the extropian list...

From: john grigg (starman125@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 21:40:03 MDT

Hello everyone,

I must say I consider Eliezer a brave man for wading into such a conflict
and trying to get to the bottom of things for the good of both sides. I
found his analysis and final statement very perceptive and wise. Even
though there seems to be some bad blood that had been building up that went
beyond what at least I have seen over the last two days.

If Natasha and Kathryn were both famous celebrities this could result in a
match-up on MTV's "Celebrity Deathmatch!" Just think of the weapons and
techniques to be used! I think I would rather see a certain pair of male
extropians battle it out as clay figures on the show to deal with a
neverending debate on gun control issues!

We have discussed on this list the gender/sex role differences society
places on men and women so with that in mind I find the conflict and
reaction to it fascinating. The desire of the largely male group members
seemed very strong in wanting to negotiate a peace for female/female
conflict as compared to male/male conflict. I think to the male mindset
female conflict is more "unsightly" then when guys lose their tempers over
things. Perhaps also societal pressures make women more competitive and
more quick to take offense with each other.

Both Natasha and Katherine are very bright and capable individuals and yet
still fallible and human as we all are. It is so easy even for mature
individuals to take offense where none is meant. We each carry around our
lifescripts and perceive the world in our own unique ways.

Natasha has a real sense of history and vision for transhumanism and
extropianism having been at the forefront of it for so many years which to
me is shown in her initial comment about various groups preparing media
materials.

Doug Baily wrote about the scorecard mentality. And yet I think people do
deserve to be credited for the ideas and terms they put forward and the work
they have done. Though obviously it should be carried out in a mature way.

Natasha is a prominent extropian thinker in her own right which was proved
with her book "Create/Uncreate". Everyone on this list should have a copy
of it. I definitely do not see her living in her husband's shadow. Perhaps
though by some she is thought of as an "extropian sweetheart" along with
Gina "Nanogirl" Miller. But we are not a college fraternity!

I suppose where there are powerful personalities, opinions, egos and
intellects combined with tired bodies and busy schedules there is bound to
be some conflict occasionally. I realize having no conflict is not the
answer but perhaps we can learn to be more civil even in regard to our
disagreements and personality conflicts. But ultimately things must be
dealt with and resolved I realize.

Sincerely,

John Grigg