Re: Neural Network Literature

From: Darin Sunley (rsunley@escape.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 11 1999 - 19:06:00 MDT

Anders Sandberg wrote:

> "Eric Ruud" <ejruud@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> > I've recently become quite interested in neural networks. What should I =
> > be reading?

Depends a lot on your background. Most of the actual research in NN's becomes
very difficult to read without a good solid grounding in both graph theory and
matrix arithmetic.

Does UCDavis have a CompSci department? Maybe email some professor and ask what
textbooks the 3rd or 4th year AI classes are using. Those'll have pretty decent
intros to NNs. At least, mine did.

The major truth that we've discovered about NNs, though, is that the particular
arrangement of neurons into higher level structures (gain controls, feedback
layers) is WAY more important then simply trowing training data at a bunch of
neurons.

Darin Sunley
rsunley@escape.ca