Re: FAQ: Where are we?

From: Nick Bostrom (bostrom@ndirect.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 26 1998 - 11:25:16 MDT

Kathryn Aegis wrote:

> I have missed a great deal of this discussion over the past week and would
> like to know "where we are at" -- in other words, what sections have not yet
> been addressed? Will anyone have the opportunity to read over and suggest
> revisions to sections that have already been written? There are possibly
> other persons who would like to contribute who are on vacation right now,
> particularly as we move into August, so I may not be the only person who
> would like to know this.

We have agreed about what the list of questions should be
(modifications can still be made). The questions are divided into
sections. I have been posting one section at a time and eliciting
people's answer-suggestions. On some questions I have also provided my
own answer-suggestions for people to comment on or improve. When the
two remaining sections have been treated in this way, then it's time
to write up. I've saved people's comments in a file so they can be
used at this stage.

We haven't decided yet what the best way to write it up will be. One
person does it all? A few person do it all together? A few persons
each do a few answers? - Maybe the best way would be if perhaps four
experienced transhumanists do it together in whatever way they think
suitable?

When the first draft is completed, then it should be posted back
to the list so people can make suggestions for what could be changed
and improved.

Doug Baily has made the excellent suggestion that we complement the
FAQ with a Transhumanist Profiles page on the WTA site (that anybody
who want could copy), where prominent transhumanists explain their
own perspective and views in a few paragraphs in a personal way. This
would show the divesity of views in transhumanism and would allow
people to say what they really think rather than just the inevitably
somewhat watered-down quasi-consensus of the FAQ. But it is better
not to start this until we have finished the FAQ.

Nick Bostrom
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method
London School of Economics
n.bostrom@lse.ac.uk
http://www.hedweb.com/nickb