Re: SOC/ECON: Critique of the anti-globalists

From: Brian D Williams (talon57@well.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 12:46:19 MDT

>From: "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury@aeiveos.com>

>I particularly liked:

>>Many voters are rationally ignorant about the issues confronting
>>them, because the return on acquiring the knowledge is so small.
>>The interesting question is not why do people fail to vote, but
>>why *do* they vote, given the tiny probability that they will
>>affect the outcome.

>I'd emphasize this. For example, my recent commentary on why
>I'm against GMO food labels. If the anti-GMO individuals
>actually *did* acquire sufficient molecular biology and medical
>knowledge to *really* evaluate the labels, their ROI would
>be *negative* because they would have to give up their cherished
>ideas that "natural" is better!

All GMO is not the same, "golden" rice is a completely different
thing from "RoundUp" corn for example.

Those of us who abhor paternalism will continue to insist:

Label it or ban it.

Brian

Member:
Extropy Institute, www.extropy.org
National Rifle Association, www.nra.org, 1.800.672.3888
SBC/Ameritech Data Center Chicago, IL, Local 134 I.B.E.W