Re: CHINA: Chinese Navy threatens Phillipines...

From: Bill Douglass (douglassbill@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 13:32:01 MDT

<DIV></DIV></DIV>Mike Lorrey wrote:<MLORREY@DATAMANN.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;On NewsMax.com:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2001/6/25/152603
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Chinese Navy threatens the Phillipines
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Monday, June 25, 2001 4:27 p.m. EDT
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"China's blue water navy has been sighted at Scarborough Shoal, where
<DIV></DIV>&gt;U.S. defense officials believe Beijing is seeking to establish a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;permanent military base. Scarborough Shoal is located off the western
<DIV></DIV>&gt;coast of the Philippines' main island of Luzon, an area contested by
<DIV></DIV>&gt;both Beijing and Manila.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;"The deployment is the first time Chinese warships have been spotted in
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the area, the Times reported. 'Their presence contradicted assurances
<DIV></DIV>&gt;provided to the Philippines government in April by a senior Chinese
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Foreign Ministry official, U.S. intelligence personnel said.'
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The encroachment of China's navy into Philippine territory is thought to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;be part of a calculated strategy to establish military control over the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;entire South China Sea, which has sea lanes crucial to international
<DIV></DIV>&gt;commerce.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The projection of power into the region by Beijing runs counter to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;public assurances of U.S. officials, who have painted China's navy as
<DIV></DIV>&gt;primitive and incapable of posing a serious threat to the stability of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the region."
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;So, folks, those who thought I was crazy to consider China a threat
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt;ought to start planning how they want their crow prepared. </P>
<P>&gt; </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I wouldn't say that China isn't a potential threat.&nbsp; A confrontation between the US and China is one of several possible scenarios which could play out in the future.&nbsp; My view, though, is that a confrontation would become *more* likely if the US were to aim at economic strangulation of China, as has been advocated by a couple of folks here.&nbsp; As I've mentioned before, when relations with the West are poor and the Chinese economy isn't doing well, is when the Communist hard-liners in Beijing&nbsp;tend to gain power, and liberals (in the true sense of the word) such as Zhu Rongzhi tend to lose it.&nbsp; In such circumstances, we'd see more unfortunate maneuvering and posturing&nbsp;like that described in the article.&nbsp; Thanks for posting it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

993677846979.gif