Re: HTML

From: Fred C. Moulton (moulton@moulton.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 00:32:33 MDT

The following is a slightly simplified response but it covers the main
points.

There is a reason why some people see plain ASCII and some people see
HTML. What is happening is that the message arrives in both plain ASCII
and HTML with the ASCII shown first. Mail clients which can display
HTML with display the HTML and other mail clients which can not display
HTML will display ASCII. You can see this if you read the mail from the
command line on an ASCII terminal. (Yes there are some of us you still
remember how). I opened my mail on a Unix system via the command line
and saved the message and am including it so that you can see what I am
talking about. Note that I have added a ">" and a space " " at the
beginning of each line so that mail clients will try to render the
HTML. Also those who are interested can examine the mail headers to get
an idea about mail transport.

Have fun

Fred