Re: HTML

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 01:49:39 MDT

"Fred C. Moulton" wrote:

> The following is a slightly simplified response but it covers the main
> points.
>
> There is a reason why some people see plain ASCII and some people see
> HTML. What is happening is that the message arrives in both plain ASCII
> and HTML with the ASCII shown first. Mail clients which can display
> HTML with display the HTML and other mail clients which can not display
> HTML will display ASCII. You can see this if you read the mail from the
> command line on an ASCII terminal. (Yes there are some of us you still
> remember how). I opened my mail on a Unix system via the command line
> and saved the message and am including it so that you can see what I am
> talking about. Note that I have added a ">" and a space " " at the
> beginning of each line so that mail clients will try to render the
> HTML. Also those who are interested can examine the mail headers to get
> an idea about mail transport.

In Netscape Mail it is a message composition option whether to
send messages with some html as just plain text, as html or as a
mixture. It is NOT standard practice to send mail in mixed mode
or as html without some option being set directly or by default
for that option. I seriously doubt any ISP is going to insist on
dual formatting all outgoing mail that flows through them.

- samantha