Re: NEWS: Reuters story on AI (Kurzweil and Vita-More)

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 03:06:51 MDT

Spudboy100@aol.com wrote:

> I have tried it with a frozen head, many times, but brain not working.

Yup. Unfortunately, current technology doesn't allow you to restart the
process from that snapshot, as it is rather scrambled. Worse, we don't even
know how badly scrambled, so the storage medium might be not salvageable.

Still, even a badly damaged backup is a lot better than nothing.

> Othogonal, hmmm? Was that Reichenbach or Hans Reich? My point is that its

No Reich or Arm, just dot product being zero.

> either a worthwhile conjecture or it isn't. You are saying that its not
> worthwhile, yet let us explore the physics and see what's what.

Sure, it's all about the pesky physics. Not only can't you lick the system,
you can't even give it a good fondling.

> Quite unlikely for one of those Southern Baptist lads to part-take of the
> evil crack pipe. As to the physics of accelerating redshift, it seems to now

I thought that man had religion, now I see why.

> be looked at, by scientists, as an astronomically recent phenomena. At least

It doesn't matter whether it's real, the clock is ticking, and soon you'll be
unable to go places which now appear so reachable.

The universe is open, now the jury is still out whether this is a good or
a bad thing. It is certainly a bad thing on the Omega point theory.

> that seems to be the case as I peer at papers on the LANL archives. Is his
> work a pipe-dream? The Jury is still out and the Jury will take a lot longer
> then several of our lifetimes added together. I continue with my notion that

I don't think so. Physics is knowable, and right now the uncertainty as to
whether the universe is open or closed dwindles down very rapidly.

> Computronium, or a computer network that behaves as if its juiced on
> computronium, or neutronium, or using the info provided by Smolin or Vilenkin

Computronium is just some organical muck that computes. It's formidable by
current tech standards, but it's not that breathtaking, and it's certainly
finite. You might be able to use QM for something useful, after all, but
it's still not infinite.

> or some other worthy. I mean, what's the harm? I am not tossing out infinite
> computing, any more then I am tossing out, M-branes. There's no logical
> reason to.

The persona space is damn large. I mean, really, extremely large. In absence
of infinite computation you can't brute-force enumerate all of it, even if you
had the inclination. (And I very much doubt the omega biota would have it,
even if they had infinity to burn).

-- Eugen* Leitl
ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204