Re: Stealth tech vs mobile phones

From: Chuck Kuecker (ckuecker@mcs.net)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 09:12:45 MDT

At 06:49 AM 6/13/01 -0700, you wrote:

>An for a big conclusion they're forgetting completely about active
>ECM, an EA6-B Prowler can waste any cell network/electrical grid it
>encounters, as probably can Mike Lorrey's ole EF-111's.
>

>Brian

How does any kind of radio jammer destroy the power grid, or any network
not relying on radio? It takes a huge level of radiated RF to bring down
power distribution - NEMP levels - and a smaller, but still large power
level to disrupt a PC sitting on the ground a few thousand feet from the
plane. A PC network inside a steel frame building would be very difficult
to bring down with a radio transmitter of the type you are proposing, as
would the land line phone network. The best you could hope for with a power
grid is to force it to go to backup communications with its' plants.

I get a kick out of the scenario - I think it was on the Discover Channel a
while back - of a "munition" that could be hand-carried into an area and on
"detonation" (silent?) would bring down all the electrical systems and
electronics in a couple hundred yard area. Supposedly, the Soviets came up
with an "EMP grenade", but I have never seen a plausible description of how
it would work.The people who propose this kind of thing obviously have
never taken a course in fields and waves, or even basic electricity. Until
I see a technical description of one of these devices, or see one deployed,
I will refuse to believe in them.

Of course, one could always fly an AWACS plane into a substation...

Chuck Kuecker