Re: Effing (was re: uploading and the survival hang-up)

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 22:51:48 MDT

John Clark wrote:

> Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com> Wrote:
>
> > I can prove it just as much as I can prove that you can know
> > what salt tastes like.
>
> That was my point, you can't prove either and never will. Subjective experience
> will remain subjective.

The point is that you do know what salt tastes like and so do
I. That we both know without high-tech communcation of the
experience means that there is a real something, whether we can
get a handle on it presently or not. That there is a real
something that happens to both of us when we drop a few grains
of salt on our tongues that is processed by our nerves and
brains makes it utterly possible that we can transmit those
nerve firings that lead to that experience given enough
technology. And this is no more "unprovable" than any other
kind of transmission of signal.

- samantha