Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 22:48:42 MDT

Spudboy100@aol.com wrote:

> I have read Victor Frankels book and could not cull much meaning for it,
> myself. More to the point, if we merely, "follow our dreams" then why not all
> embrace religion, or some unsubstantiated, idea or philosophy? I fear that if
> we pursue that, then, we end up as scientologists, or followers of pazzu zu,
> or Applegate, or Jim Jones.

There is nothing wrong with picking a dream or vision of what
you wish to exist and then making it real if you can. We are
talking about acquiring powers reserved for supposdely
mythological gods in the not to distant real-time. That leaves
quite a bit of room for designing your "purpose". Not only
that, it becomes more important that you do so.

What is the difference between that an Applegate or Jim Jones?
The difference is going in with your eyes and mind wide open and
refusing to shut them and take someone else's worth for it.

> If my belief-system, is however, founded on what we can determine as reason
> and science, then I am free to build my 'castles in the air.'

Excactyl

> <<Once you have your own hope, the human brain will do an amazing thing:
> it will filter for you all of the hopeful things that humans are actively
> working at presently. Yes, indeedy, they are all around you.
>
> Of course the world is a lousy mess, but it's a beautiful lousy mess.>>
>
> Fair enough, but again, that hope, for me at least, needs to be built on
> reason, and what we know scientifically, although I concede that scientific
> knowledge does change, over time.

Science will give the means to make the hope real. It will not
provide you with the hope, with the vision, of where you wish to
go.

- samantha