Re: Hiveminds and the Great Filter

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 1999 - 00:37:52 MST

Michael S. Lorrey wrote:

> Since WHEN have quasars been considered to exist within our own galaxy?
>
> Everything I've ever heard said they are distant extragalactic objects that put out
> the energy of hundreds of thousands of stars.

Thats right, Mike. This is why I posted that any measured proper motion
is experimental error. There were plenty of indications, even before
the Hipparcos data, that quasars were distant and energetic, waaay
extragalactic phenomena, specifically their enormous redshift. There
was, and perhaps still is, debate that quasars are associated with
relatively near galaxies to an extent that is statistically significant, but
I sure dont see how they could be, with all that red shift. Halton Aarp
I think is the name of the guy who was proposing that notion. spike