Re: Junk mail and rotting web

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 00:51:41 MST

You'd really think that some of the search-engine folks would have
learned to recognize the characteristic repeated pattern of fake
keywords and give the user an option to screen out any site that moronic.

In any case, I've never run into false matches generated by fake
keywords. If I did, it would be easy enough to exclude them entirely:
Find a fake keyword you're not looking for and exclude that.

Do people really generate hits that way? This sounds like an
(admittedly hackworthy) way to prevent competitors from stealing a
stupid Web trick that doesn't work.

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
         http://pobox.com/~sentience/AI_design.temp.html