Re: Greetings..

From: Paul Hughes (planetp@aci.net)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 15:46:01 MST

'gene Writes:

> >Paul Hughes writes:
> >
> > > Although I have never explored this issue in much depth, I'd have to
> agree with you. I think the difference between an institutionalized "insane"
>
> > > person and a functioning genius is much thinner than we want to admit.
> >
> >I disagree. I think geniuses are both dramatically brighter and
> >noticeably more psychically stable than average persons, in the vast
> >majority of cases (as if our database was so very large, ho, ho). I
> >think brilliant cranks are a yet another urban legend.

Perhaps I misstated myself. I meant to imply the possibility that a genius is
more likely to be stable and sane, but that an "insane" person is more likely
to be a genius than a non-instituionalized person. Obviously, I have no facts
to back this up. Is there any statistical data out there comparing
intelligence of institutionalized people versus those who aren't?

Paul hughes