Re: The last tv show that changed my life ...

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 04:58:33 MST

christophe delriviere <darkmichet@bigfoot.com> writes:

> but seriously, perhaps we could discuss the most transhumanistic
> cartoons we know of ??

Aeon Flux is high on my list. Not that its theme is itself
transhumanistic, but because it plays with many of our ideas in
interesting and surreal ways. Aeon is a nicely individualistic rebel
(I'm wondering if her country Monica isn't really the future Republic
of Santa Monica, home to the descendants of the Californian
libertarians and extropians :-), and Trevor Goodchild a fine example
of just how troubling a ruthlessly benevolent transhumanist dictator
could be.

My absolute favorite episode is the one dealing with the artificial
consciences: is Trevor doing something very immoral to people, or is
he helping them? Is he any better than the "bondage rebels"? And what
about *his* conscience? And Aeons? Lots of unresolved questions worth
thinking of, as well as some brilliant surreal scenes on the train and
in the keep.

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y