Re: Style-sheets (was: I come not to praise HTML...)

From: Harvey Newstrom (newstrom@newstaffinc.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 16:21:54 MST

Dan Fabulich <daniel.fabulich@yale.edu> wrote on Sunday, December 26, 1999
3:38 pm,

> 'What is your name?' 'Harvey Newstrom.' 'Do you deny having written the
> following?':

I deny confirming this and confirm denying this, although I may or may not
have written this.

> Only trouble with them is that they are ill-supported in the big two
> browsers. Internet Explorer 3 and Netscape 4 have seriously flawed
> implementations (that's right, the current LATEST VERSION of Netscape
> doesn't support them well!) and Internet Explorer 4 and 5, while they do
> have passable implementations, have flat out holes in their support.
>
> > Any web designer who doesn't know about them is simply nonstandard and
> > out-of-touch.
>
> Or else that web designer doesn't want to learn a new language which can,
> at present, only be viewed correctly on Opera. No sane web developer
> would extensively employ style sheets at this time. No one can read them.

You are absolutely correct! The bugginess of browsers is appalling. It is
almost an unusable standard. Anybody trying to use style-sheets must test
the results in various browsers. However, once you get it working right,
you can build further pages without recoding the style-sheet, so future
pages will work just as well as existing pages.

My own view is that HTML is barely supported better. Simple things such as
sounds, margin widths, and table spacing have different coding in Netscape
and Internet Explorer. Also, little bugs can destroy a site. If you put
your entire site in a table for layout and then leave off the </table> at
the end, it works fine in IE, while Netscape ignores the whole page.

Trying to use Java, JavaScript, plugins, Active-X, XML, DHTML, etc. makes
things even worse.

--
Harvey Newstrom <http://harveynewstrom.com>
Certified Consultant,  Legal Hacker, Engineer, Research Scientist, Author.