Re: Patents

From: Sasha Chislenko (sasha1@netcom.com)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 22:56:07 MST

At 06:17 PM 99/12/24 , Spike Jones wrote:

> > UNPATENT.ORG ? [ANTIPATENT, FREEPATENT,...?]...
>
>Cool idea Sasha. I would be willing to do a brain barf into something
>like that, for all my ideas regarding nanotech. Looks to me like if we dont
>have something like this, then *eeeeverything* we have today can have
>a nano version patented, taking it out of circulation for a long time.

TNETAP.ORG (PATENT backwards)

"The New Extropian Taskforce Against Patents".

Or whatever. (There may be more than patents here)

Such a service could also help original inventors find employment,
and allow patent attorneys to check whether an idea is already in the
public domain and thus reduce the number of issued frivolous patents.

Before putting ideas into such system, however, the system has to be created.
I have enough experience in attempts to launch public initiatives to
be skeptical that something like this can be effectively launched by
a loose group of volunteers. It may have more chances to succeed if
it is launched by an established public group, or as a business.

In any case, the first thing to do would be to create a little task force
to brainstorm the possible structure and functions of the service, and
produce the rationale document.

There may be other ideas what to do against patents.
If we start turning complaint items into action items, and see how the
projects may be implemented taking into account current situation and
interests of various parties - then, well, with time we'll have more
action and fewer complaints...

.... Oops, I just read Ken's letter. Great, patents will be a thing of
the past soon. Anything else left for action? :-)

Sasha Chislenko <http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/home.html>