Bahai Faith

From: jeff nordahl (jnordahl@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 16:19:10 MST

Is anyone here familiar with or have first hand experience with the Bahai
Faith? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts and reflexions or
reflections.

I just recently stumbled upon some Bahai literature, and what I've read has
been pretty interesting.

Its major thrust is for a global unity (race, gender, economic, language,
nationality, etc.) while still respecting and appreciating cultural
diversity. They also embrace technology and science in an effort to find a
balance between science and religion.

"Scientific method is humanity's tool for understanding the physical side of
the universe. It is the key to new technologies. Science, cannot, however,
guide us in the use of such knowledge. The revelation of God *(not a
masculine or fate determining or judgemental god, but a God of the ultimate
truth and perfection) this is my own interpretation of their definition*
offers to humanity a basis for values and purpose. It provides answers to
those questions of morals, human purpose, and our relation to God that
science cannot approach. The independent investigation of reality, whether
scientific or religious, is strongly encouraged in Bahai. Individuals
should strive to free themselves from prejudices, preconceptions and
reliance on tradition and traditional authorities. Consultation is a
critical tool for discovering truth."

I am far from being a religious freak, and in the past have regarded
religious folks as merely scared little sheep who find sanctuary in the
flock by converting their fears into faith, BUT this Bahai stuff sounds
practical in motive, and elastic by avoiding strict dogmas. It strives for
equality and unity through love, respect, and education, and embraces
technology/science as important tools for achieving this goal. No trappings
and limitations, just check your motive first...

The rock parable. (of my authorship, Bahais not responsible for following
text)

Two men are given rocks. One uses the rock as a hammer to build a house out
of sticks. He then utilizes another rock to chisel the original rock into a
beautiful sculpture of a hippo. He then presents the sculpted hippo to a
lovely young woman, and she greatly admires it. They fall in love, get
married, and move into his new house.

The second man uses his rock to smash the hippo carving man's door down in
the darkness of the night. He then slugs the sleeping hippo carver in the
head with his rock, pulverizing his medulla oblangata, and then proceeds to
sodomize his wife with the rock.

Beauty is in the conditioning of the rock holder.