Re: Creation\Emulation (was Re: computers composing music)

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 10:06:42 MST

> ...If I was searching for Mozart-like music and found an item which
> I *knew* was a computer replication, I would not buy it on the basis
> of its having no originality or creative impetus.

This is an interesting psychological phenomenon I've always wondered
about: why is it that we often value something that is labor-inefficient
more than the equal or superior-quality item that isn't? To value
"real" Hendrix over a quality imitation is just snobbery, as is valuing
a real Rembrandt over an equal-quality forgery. Screwtops make better
wine, but no self-respecting eonophile would be caught dead admitting
that fact. I personally would never use a clip-on tie. Why?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,