Re: qualia and rationality

From: Dan Fabulich (daniel.fabulich@yale.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 18:02:48 MST

'What is your name?' 'Robert Owen.' 'Do you deny having written the
following?':

> Be sure and read his post
>
> Subject: Re: qualia and rationality
> Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:54:41 -0500 (EST)
>
> It is remarkable.

Golly. One really shouldn't say things like that, as it unnecessarily
inflates my ego. ;)

It should be noted that I am in no way the originator of the thought
example I used in my post; rather I was first exposed to a similar example
through the writings of John Perry (who made the argument that indexicals
are "essential," that is, not irreducible to any other terms). I know
Hector-Neri Casta~neda has used a similar example as well to say some
rather interesting things about "I."

As for the analogy of qualia and propositions, I do take that to be
original to me, though to a great extent it comes naturally with some
basic assumptions within analytic philosophy.

-Dan

      -unless you love someone-
    -nothing else makes any sense-
           e.e. cummings