60s into 90s (was Re: Wired Article (was: META: Ideas link broken!))

From: Michael M. Butler (butler@comp-lib.org)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 00:50:17 MST

The 60s are to the 90s as Playboy is to WIRED. Swinging bachelor is now
pomo digerato. Same as it ever was.

But WIRED's fact checking appears to be poorer than Playboy's ever was.

WIRED is a cultural artifact. Specifically, it is a commercial magazine in
a go-go disposable age, so it dies if it doesn't increase circulation and
sell more things all the time. Steady state doesn't bring (sufficient) rewards.

(aside: Have you noticed that Scientific American keeps looking more and
more like TV Guide?)

There is a story that during a holiday season garbage-collectors' strike,
some ingenious New Yorkers took to gift-wrapping their refuse and leaving
it in their unlocked, parked cars.

For some reason, that's how I think of most commercial media these days.

WIRED, like other fashion magazines, wraps the garbage We are so hip,
aren't we? Aren't we? Give me a distorting mirror so I'll like how I look.
And hurry up about it.

MMB, in a curmudgeonly mood possibly picked up from the Viridians...