Wired Article (was: META: Ideas link broken!)

From: Geoff Smith (geoffs@interchange.ubc.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 19:06:49 MST

Has anyone actually read the Wired Article? It makes Extropians sound
like a bunch of clueless loonies. In fact, I think the author's words
were "overzealous amateurs." Ouch!

Robert Bradbury fairs particularly poorly, and it makes the biotech
futures conference sound like a big waste of time:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.01/forever.html

However, once you get past the first few paragraphs, he stops talking
about extropians, and starts talking about life extension. Then the
article becomes worth reading.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether this articles is a net positive
thing. I think it is. Anyone who went to the biotech futures
conference care to comment?

Geoff.