Re: The Unfathomable

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 23:18:25 MST

In a message dated 11/03/1999 4:43:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
neuroknot@hotbot.com writes:

> Apparently you are oblivious to what religion has been telling people for
> millenia: you are a sinner, you are nothing compared to the glory of the
Lord
> and etc
That religion is Christianity that best describes that, not the one I was
raised in.

>For example, last week you insinuated that extropians are anti-religious
because >they are ignorant of other traditions and belief systems. A few
posts, including >mine, demonstrated that this is incorrect.

I beg to differ on this claimmed achievement, since I have seen in many
posting here a generalized conception that Christianity is and has been the
only path. For evidence of that please see my first quote of yours:

"Apparently you are oblivious to what religion has been telling people for
millenia: you are a sinner," --that has been a central principle of
Christianity, and is the sole inventor of 'original sin;-which is what you
are refering to, whether you realize it or not.

Give me an example of a spiritual problem. I am thinking that "spirtual
problems" are at their root material problems. (Often involving common
things such as deficts or excesses of neurotransmitters or a dearth of zeros
in one's bank accounts.)

Fair enough, since you've opened up the barn door on this one, let me release
the livestock. Sprititual problem: I miss Dear Grandpa Waldo; he passed
away many years ago. Unfortunately, Alcor wasn't in business at the time to
preseve his biology. So Uncle Waldo is dead and gone-forever. Now if you
have a solution for death(a physiological & spiritual problem); you may now
present your answer.

If you disagree with my premise, that there is a 'problem' i.e. Uncle Waldo
being gone from my life; that may be logical, but it certainly doesn't
address the issue-for me and for many people who have loved ones perish.
Perhaps a virtual Uncle Waldo may suffice, but then more questions are raised.