Re: Pornography and Culture (Was Re: Controlling the male sex drive)

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 11:28:05 MDT

At 02:21 PM 10/8/99 -0400, David Lubkin wrote:

>But I was intrigued to read that (some? many? all?) Native American men are
>disinterested in nude photographs, and don't understand the interest other
>men have in them. They describe looking at pictures of women as being as
>pointless as looking at pictures of food when you are hungry.

I actually hold a similar opinion with respect to pornography in general.
I am not into spectator sports as I consider them to be such a pale shade
of participation that it is usually not worth the time spent. In a more
general sense, I've never been interested in living any part of my life in
a third person role. Considering the fact that one could experience the
much, much richer first person experience with roughly the same investment
in time, I personally do not understand the fascination with nude
photographs either.

Of course, there are some things for which it is simply not possible for me
to participate in a first person role, but I find that I have a hard time
maintaining interest in experiences that (for now) cannot be had within my
personal realm of experience.

Regards,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com