Pornography and Culture (Was Re: Controlling the male sex drive)

From: David Lubkin (lubkin@unreasonable.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 1999 - 12:21:57 MDT

On 10/8/99, at 8:54 AM, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

>That in itself, while overwhelming, is not sufficient to prove
>that the difference is biological rather than cultural. Recent
>changes in culture have made female-targeted pornography more
>acceptable and the demand has grown--to about 5% of the market.
>
>What /does/ strongly suggest that the difference is biological
>rather than cultural is that much of the beefcake in that 5% is
>nominally targeted at women because that's culturally acceptable
>while the marketers and sellers know the reality is that it is
>bought mostly by gay men.

It is reasonable to expect that since standards of beauty change from place
to place, and from era to era (except for genetically programmed preferences,
like facial symmetry), tastes in pornography would also differ between
cultures.

But I was intrigued to read that (some? many? all?) Native American men are
disinterested in nude photographs, and don't understand the interest other
men have in them. They describe looking at pictures of women as being as
pointless as looking at pictures of food when you are hungry.

-- David Lubkin.

lubkin@unreasonable.com || Unreasonable Software, Inc. || www.unreasonable.com
a trademark of USI: