Re: 2.3TB on a credit card?

From: John Clark (jonkc@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Sep 25 1999 - 11:34:11 MDT

I had another thought. In all magnetic recording done up to now the
north and south pole of the magnetized spot is in the same plane as the
recording medium, it's far easy to make them that way, you don't need to
maneuver a magnet above and below a spinning disk, but the proximity of
opposite poles partially cancels each other out and limits the density of
magnetic spots you can read. I don't know it for a fact but it seems to me
that with magnetic-optical technology it would be just as easy to make the
north and south magnetic pole perpendicular to the plane of the recording
medium. If so then that alone would allow a huge increase in the density
of magnetic spots you could detect.

    John K Clark jonkc@att.net