Re: Mother Nature

From: Brian D Williams (talon57@well.com)
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 08:18:43 MDT

From: ronkean@juno.com

>I seems unlikely that a nuclear bomb would have an appreciable
>effect on a hurricane in terms of increasing or decreasing its
>power. There would be plenty of dramatic effects, but no
>significant change in the power of the hurricane. If all the
>energy from a one megaton bomb were coupled into one cubic
>kilometer of water, the temperature of the water would increase by
>one degree Celsius. To put it another way, the thermal energy
>which is converted to kinetic energy by a hurricane in just a few
>minutes is far greater than the energy released by a nuclear bomb.

<sigh> I'm not talking thermal, I'm talking the shockwave from an
air blast. It has been calculated that we never need to build
anything larger than a 100 megaton bomb because at 100 megatons it
would blast a 10 mile in diameter chunk of atmosphere off into
space... (Richard Rhodes books)

Are you saying such a blast would have no effect?

Obviously IMMHO a much smaller blast would do....

Okay we need hurricane software and nuke software.....

;)

Brian

Member, Extropy Institute, www.extropy.org
Life Extension Foundation, www.lef.org
National Rifle Association, www.nra.org, 1.800.672.3888
Mars Society, www.marssociety.org
Ameritech Data Center Chicago, IL, Local 134 I.B.E.W