Re: Mike Perry's work on self-improving AI

From: Matt Gingell (mjg223@nyu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 23:59:04 MDT

----- Original Message -----From: Rik van Riel <riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl>

>If you use a 'population' of searches, combined with multiplication
>(split the ones at a good point in space and remove the bottom
>feeders) and random bitflipping (flip a random bit in 10% of the
>searchers) you might be able to get around the problem.
>
>Rik

I believe this approach is provable optimal in the absence of any knowledge
about the shape of the search space, but I'm having trouble tracking down the
reference.

A while back, I wrote an artificial life system which simulates a population of
organisms driven by neural networks. Unfortunately, I have to report that a herd
of parallel searches most certainly can get stuck! (In my case, I was dealing
with populations of around one or two thousand nodes.)

-matt