colonization of space

From: Evolver16@aol.com
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 17:38:32 MDT

Hello. Locke here.

    I have had some thoughts on a way to colonize space without all that
tedious mucking about in life support technology, or at least less of it.
While I am new to the transhuman scene, and am not sure whether this idea
could be considered transhuman thinking, I figured, "What's a better way to
plant this idea into hundreds of minds?"

    The concept is simple. A hyper-adaptive gene, bred or implanted into
humans. The gene would allow humans to survive in ammonia, nitrogen, sulfur,
and any other atmosphere you can think of. The gene would cause changes over
a relatively short time, maybe within two generations. So some life support
would be needed, but nothing long-term. Eventually, humans on Titan or
somewhere would be able to shut down the life support indefinitely, thus
freeing up power to better understand this foreign environment.

                            "Ex Astris, Scientia!"
                                Locke