Re: The Extinction Challenge

From: hal@finney.org
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 16:29:48 MDT

Billy Brown, <ewbrownv@mindspring.com>, writes:
> I hereby challenge anyone to come up with a disaster, natural or
> artificial, that could reasonably be expected to render an advanced
> spacefaring species completely extinct.

How about a computer virus? Let it have a long latency period before it
flares into destructive mode, so that it spreads everywhere. Then let
the people be such that they can't live without computers. Maybe they
are cyborgs or something. When the virus flares, they all die.

You could probably do the same thing with a biological virus, except
without nanotech it is harder to create something with the necessary
flexibility.

Hal