Re: RE. Extropian/Transhuman music... Where?

From: Natasha Vita-More (natasha@natasha.cc)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 11:32:47 MDT

At 08:04 PM 7/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Alintelbot wrote:
>
>>Damned if I know what extropian music would be... Personally, I find
>>so-called "space-creating" music very inspiring and beautiful in a way that
>>might be called "transhuman."
>>[...]
>
> This discussion has taken place on this list numerous times in the
>past, most recently in mid-December, and before that in early August. You
>may want to check the archives.

Yes. I recall us putting a lot of thought into this then and the archives
would be useful.

> The general consensus at that time was that there is a dichotomy
>between subjectivity and objectivity: music that extropians like and music
>written by extropians. As a musician myself, I will submit that my own
>compositions would not be collectively liked by all extropians;

Individual tastes are too wide to assume that any one specific type of
music would appeal to a vast array of people, regardless of enthusiasm for
space and technology. Music, while received by the auditory sense, affects
the listener in more ways than by sound. Music carries a vibration that
can be felt, (kinesthetic) tactile sense. Also, the look of one instrument
may be more appealing than another, so an innate affinity may place
emphasis on one type of instrument over another. Unless one wants to lick
a piano, guitar of synthesizer, the sense of taste really doesn't factor
in. Smell, on the other hand has a strong memory association, and certain
sounds trigger emotional responses either from the smell of the instrument,
or the smell of the environment one hears the music in.

My appreciation for music is broad. While I prefer techno and ambient
sound, a part of me moves to soul music rhythm and blues, syncopation, blue
note jazz, and rock opera. Then there is the fiddle which I love and may
seem contradictory. The thread for me is how my body moves to the music
and what emotional reaction I get.

> However, I
>am an extropian, and therefore, in a sense I write "extropian" music.

I always considered the art of your music and poetry to be extropic -:)

Natasha Vita-More: http://www.natasha.cc
Transhumanist Art Centre - Home of Extropic Art: http://www.extropic-art.com
**NEW** Transhuman Culture InfoMark: http://www.transhuman.org
PRESS RELEASE: "We are transhumans ..." Meme Orbits Saturn in 2004!

   Biotech Futures: Challenges of Life Extension and Genetic Engineering
                 http://www.extropy.org/ex4/e4main.htm