Re: Omega Point, Singularity

From: hal@finney.org
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 09:11:45 MDT

Rob Harris Cen-IT, <Rob.Harris@bournemouth.gov.uk>, writes:
> Does anyone else notice the action of planets etc., viewing them as
> organisms, which succeed (spawn life/something else), or fail (no geological
> activity). Perhaps the same is true for universes. Perhaps this universe is
> not as chaotic as we generally believe? Maybe this universe is an optimised
> ancestor of an ancient life-spawning-by-chance universe, making lifeforms in
> this universe inevitable. What do you think?

Physicist Lee Smolin has a somewhat similar view. Here is a description
of his idea from http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/smolin/smolin_p1.html:

   The other idea with which Smolin is associated is "natural selection"
   of universes. He's saying that in some sense the universes that
   allow complexity and evolution reproduce themselves more efficiently
   than other universes. The ensemble itself is thus evolving in some
   complicated way. When stars die, they sometimes form black holes. (This
   is something which I wear my astrophysical hat to study.) Smolin
   speculates-as others, like Alan Guth, have also done-that inside a
   black hole it's possible for a small region to, as it were, sprout
   into a new universe. We don't see it, but it inflates into some new
   dimension. Smolin takes that idea on board, but then introduces
   another conjecture, which is that the laws of nature in the new
   universe are related to those in the previous universe. This differs
   from Andrei Linde's idea of a random ensemble, because Smolin supposes
   that the new universe retains physical laws not too different from
   its parent universe. What that would mean is that universes big and
   complex enough to allow stars to form, evolve, and die, and which
   can therefore produce lots of black holes, would have more progeny,
   because each black hole can then lead to a new universe; whereas a
   universe that didn't allow stars and black holes to form would have
   no progeny. Therefore Smolin claims that the ensemble of universes
   may evolve not randomly but by some Darwinian selection, in favor of
   the potentially complex universes.

Hal