Re: -=A Couple Q's=-

From: Scott Badger (wbadger@psyberlink.net)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 07:03:16 MDT

  robot wrote:

>I have a couple q's i would like to have cleared up. First off i would like to know what is the ultimate goal of the post human form.<

  First, there will likely be multiple post-human forms and any particular form should be free to alter its form if it so desires. Second, how would we know what their ultimate goals are going to be? We would hope that they would value rationality, knowledge aquisition, and freedom for starters.

>I hear talk about over population, econimic gitchs due to immortality, ect.<

  I will trade immortality for economic glitches all day long. And overpopulation will be a problem eventually anyway.

>It seems to me that the whole point of becoming post-human is to break the limitaions of human restriction;<

  It's one of the points.

>and there have been statements about future issues due to transhumanism that are already human issues right now.<

  Yes, our set of problems will not be entirely new.

>My second q is that of the emotion that a human experiences. What is the relevance of an emotion in post-human form?<

  Once again, I'm guessing that we will speciate and there will be multiple post-human forms, some that have decided to keep human-type emotions (though probably enhanced/customized), some that won't.

  http://www.unige.ch/fapse/emotion/welcome.html

  http://www.ki.se/cns/news/amygdala-e.html

  http://www.consciousness.arizona.edu/emotionfeb99.html

>Lastly, what are your views on the collective whole?<

  You mean becoming Borg-like? I see partial collectives as very likely. Hopefully the indvidual will always be able to disconnect and be a free agent though. It is also pretty feasible, I'm guessing, for an individual to make whole/partial copies/agents and become his/her/its own collective/distributed intelligence.

>On an aside, i must highly recommend some music due to the fact of the artists mastery of the machine as a musical tool. Some some of the best artists out there doing this are; Aphex Twin, Autechre, Square Pusher, Jega, and Bola. If you wish to learn more about this music, check out www.warp.net. or contact me @ my personal e-mail (robot@neo.lrun.com) to gain access to my mp3 site w/ 12 gigs worth of IDM (the name of the future music style). Its great stuff.... ;)<

  Why not just go ahead and give us your web-site with the music files? There's nothing at www.warp.net except an e-mail link.

  Scott