RE: DIPLOMACY: Memetic Morphing

From: Karsten Bänder (kbaender@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 06:49:50 MST

>> For all the *damage* that TV has done, it's really COMMERCIAL
>> BROADCAST television that has done the damage, *not* the technology
>> of television itself.

>Why doesn't this argument work when applied to .....say....guns?
>EvMick

Hey, technology is not the problem, but the people who use it. TV has one advantage: If you don't like it, just turn it of. It seems to me, though, that many people have not considered the use of the power button of their TV carefully enough to realize its function.
Guns can be used for defense against wild animals, or offensively against other humans. It's not technology, it's what you make of it! This is the same with almost anything. You can use radio and TV to bradcast news, or you use it to broadcast propaganda lies (tody this is called PR). Technology is a possibility, it is through it that you realize things. Technology is the means, not the cause. The cause is always human. No gun shoots a man intentionally. Its trigger need to be pulled by someone. The bullet does not care if it kills someone. The bullet is not sentient. The man who pulls the trigger is. Perhaps this is the cause why no gun manufacturer has ever been sentenced to death because one of his guns had been used for a murder.

Karsten

kbaender@bigfoot.com