Re: gender apartheid and transhumanists

From: Emmanuel Charpentier (manu@cybercable.fr)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 04:05:36 MST

"J. R. Molloy" wrote:

> From: Emmanuel Charpentier <manu@cybercable.fr>
> > So again occidentals have impacts on other civilisations??? Do I
> >have the big picture?
>
> How many civilizations reside in your big picture?

 It's not my idea, but I saw the interview of an author speaking about
one of his book (that I haven't found yet). In his book he explains that
the current world is divided not in countries, but in civilizations.

  A civilization being a group of people who share common values, such
as religion, history, geography, language, legends, resources, political
systems, technology...etc.

   You will probably agree that there is effectively an 'occidental'
civilization. Started in europe, now all across the atlantic and in
australia.

    We can also speak of an indian civilization, a muslim (or arabian),
a chinese, a slavic (east europe-russia), an african. He added a
japanese one.

     On the moment I was hearing about it, I didn't notice it as -that-
ground breaking. But nowadays, I use it more and more as a world model.
Although I'm not sure there are exactly 7 civilisations (why not add
turkie or remove japan, what about south america etc...), the concept
looks more powerfull to me than countries or continents or skin colors
or cities...

      Manu.