Re: (A zen in the art of typo maintenance.)

From: Entropyfoe@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 03 1998 - 21:11:33 MDT

Natasha wrote...
>I don't think that conventional Buddhism ties in so neatly to extropianism,
>mainly because of reincarnation and the acceptance of suffering and that
>it can only be eliminated by a spiritual overcoming. Accepting suffering
>is accepting death. Overcoming suffering through spirituality is a fairy
>tale reality and pseudoscience.

Yes I agree, Buddhism does not tie neatly into Extropianism, rather I said it
the most Extropian of the established religions. As for reincarnation, many,
esp in Zen, are agnostic. One master when asked "What happens after you
die?", answered, "How would I know, I am not dead !". Yes, life is suffering,
but it is not grim, for with dilligence, one can transcend it. Regardless of
the possibility of a fairy tale, the psychological /mental aspects of the
Buddhist practice is a powerful example of conscious(ness) development.
Buddha asked that the methods not be taken on faith, but be tried with a
critical and emprical attitude.

Hence, Extropianism, being eclectic, draws the best ideas and methods from all
sources. Not just the Zen, but Pirsig's ideas on Quality also.