Re: (A zen in the art of typo maintenance.)

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Sun Oct 04 1998 - 11:02:31 MDT

Entropyfoe@aol.com wrote:

> Natasha wrote...
> >I don't think that conventional Buddhism ties in so neatly to extropianism...

> Entropyfoe@aol.com wrote: Yes I agree, Buddhism does not tie neatly...rather I
> said it the most Extropian of the established religions...

ok, but for the most extropian of *christian* denominations,
i nominate seventh day adventism.

reasoning: sda has the concept of soul sleep. this fits nicely
with cryonics. other denominations, and many nonchristian
religions, must answer the question "what happens to to the
immortal soul when one is frozen?" which turns out to be a
tough question. the seventh day adventist has no such problem.

also, in sda is the tradition of trying offbeat medical technology.
consider the pioneering work of sda john harvey kellogg with
his breakfast foods and early work in diet and health. consider
the very progressive ethics department of loma linda medical
center, dr lenard bailey, et al, who try exciting techniques such
as baboon to infant human heart transplants. waaay extropian.
consider the proton accelerator for the nonsurgical treatment
of slow growing cancers.

i have queried a number of seventh day adventists, traditional
hard liners, and not one can think of any reason within the
context of that religion, why cryonics should not be attempted.
spike