Holism??

From: Ian Goddard (igoddard@netkonnect.net)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 13:33:22 MDT

Gerhard Kessell-Haak wrote:

>>IAN: It's an interesting area of inquiry:
>>does the "-" negative notion equate 100%
>>with the "-" logical not notion? What's
>>your case that "negative =/= not"?
>
>?not? is a universal set theoretic operator, whilst ?-? is an operator
>that is usually associated with Paeno systems/sets.

   IAN: That doesn't establish that we
   cannot say that the "-" in -A (as in
   not-A) and in -4 are compatible with one
   another. There are cases for and against
   that, but as I see you're not inclined
   to make a case to support your claim,
   I guess we'll just leave it at that.

>>Criterion for inclusion in "A"
>>
>> x is a part of A, IF x is necessary for
>>the specific existence/identity of A.
>>
>>If this criterion is valid, it then follows that as:
>>not-A is necessary for the existence of A,
>>therefore, not-A is a part of A.
>>In the same fashion, A is a part of not-A.
>>
>>IF not-A is a part of A,
>>IF A is a part of not-A,
>>THEN A and not-A have the same parts.
>>ERGO: A = not-A
>
>Wow ?.. there are so many holes in that stream of reasoning that I really
>can?t be bothered pointing them all out (and please, don?t ask me to).

   IAN: Taking the time to back up your
   assertions is a drag, so I won't ask.
   I guess A is A free from not-A and
   that is that and no questions.

>I?ve noted that you (and others) repeatedly use terms such as ?degree?,
>and ?measure? - unfortunately these terms are only valid for sets where
>these can have meaning (such as the set of Reals). For example, for the
>set of operators O = {+, -, *}, where O is not a Paeno set, what is the
>difference between {+} and {-} ?

   IAN: That's tangential. Glad you
   found the time to make a case that
   really has nothing to do with the topic.

>>?.. So A = -A and does not = -A at the same time in
>>different contexts. When mystics say A = -A (or
>>something to that effect) they are referring to
>>a primordial context that maps the structure of
>>identity. So what is this "mystical" context?
>
>To state that ?A = -A?, where the context of the left side is different from
>the context of the right side is logically invalid, and is an abuse of the
>?=? sign.

   IAN: That's not what I said.

VISIT IAN WILLIAMS GODDARD --------> http://Ian.Goddard.net

  "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its
 opponents and making them see the light, but rather because
  its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows
   up that is familiar with the idea from the beginning."

                 Max Plank - Nobel physicist

     "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
       Those who deny individual rights cannot claim
         to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand