Re: All-Zero-Sum Counter... Not!

From: Ian Goddard (igoddard@netkonnect.net)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 12:56:29 MDT

Daniel Fabulich (daniel.fabulich@yale.edu) wrote:

>> IAN: A reduction (-) of B in size by 1
>> unit relative to A (0) is expressed as
>> -1. -1 is LESS than 0, 0 is 1 more (+)
>> then -1, so in fact A has gotten larger!
>
>Relative to what? Not A or B.

  IAN: If the only other thing is B,
  A increased in size relative to B
  in the fashion described above. The
  simple fact that B appears to be
  smaller than A means that A appears
  to be larger than B to observer A.

  Has A gotten larger than B? The only
  way for A to know is look at B. If B
  is smaller, then A has gotten larger.

  The fact that both observers witness
  the same thing does not break this
  symmetry of relational structure.
  Both observers see themselves
  as larger than the other:

          A B (how I appeared)
        A 0 +
        B + 0

   and both observed the other as smaller:

          B A (how the other appeared)
        B 0 -
        A - 0

  and the sum of all valid measurements equals 0.
  Nice try Dan, but time to find another counter,
  I've already toppled this one three times now.

>There is not point where A increases relative to B, and THAT'S the truth.

  IAN: Sorry, but that's just false and
  I've already proved that it's false.

  If the size of A = 1 and the size of A
  = the size of B, but then B decreases
  in size to .5, it is a fact that 1 is
  LARGER than .5, and thus A has gotten
  larger relative to B because B got
  smaller relative to A. Simple.

  Because B was also size 1, it could
  be stated now that A = 1.5, for no
  point of size-reference is absolute.

>> That the second matrix is valid is clearly
>> proven by the fact that -1 is less than
>> 0 and 0 is 1 more than -1. If we have 2
>> things in the universe, A and B, and B
>> gets smaller, it's equally true that A
>> gets larger, because size is relative.
>
>No, you don't understand. You're thinking in terms of Newtonian physics
>and not in the inherently non-intuitive terms of special relativity.
>Normally, when something gets smaller, something else gets larger relative
>to it; special relativity sys that when B appears smaller to A, A appears
>SMALLER to B, not larger. This is why it doesn't sum to 0: If B were
>actually shrinking, it would look like this:
>
>A B
>A 0 -C
>B +C 0

  IAN: There is no absolute size, you cannot have
  "got smaller" free from "got larger." Observer
  A will measure the situation and see that there
  are two sides of the relative change: he himself
  got larger than B because B got smaller than A.

  Your case represents the fallacy of atomism,
  that we can have S (smaller) free from not-S.

VISIT IAN WILLIAMS GODDARD --------> http://Ian.Goddard.net

  "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its
 opponents and making them see the light, but rather because
  its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows
   up that is familiar with the idea from the beginning."

                 Max Plank - Nobel physicist

     "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
       Those who deny individual rights cannot claim
         to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand