Erik's Fallacy

From: Ian Goddard (igoddard@erols.com)
Date: Sat Apr 25 1998 - 12:38:10 MDT

At 02:02 PM 4/25/98 +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:

>Natasha:
>
>>>You see, just that Extropy is a cult
>
>>Frankly, Eric, I find your use of cult in describing extropy rather
>>annoying.

>This is obvious. Most Scientologists would probably also be annoyed
>when Scientology was called a cult by others.

  IAN: Ouch! What a low blow!

>It is not my fault that cults generally have such a negative image.
>Certainly, "brainwashing, unswerving obedience,
>surrender of one's possessions" are not the attributes that make up
>a cult, although many cults have such features.

  IAN: Erik, what your saying is illogical by the
  very facts that you concede. Your trying to imply
  that ExI is a member of a subset of cults that even
  you admit does not exist. IF (a very BIG if) ExI does
  fall into the set of cults (and by your standards, so
  would any organization with a set of principles), it's
  then a member of a subset of cults that does NOT inter-
  sect with the subset of cults of which cults such as
  Scientology are a member. However, as your reply to
  Natasha proves, you are implying that ExI is a member
  of the subset of "bad cults," even as in your latter
  reply to me above, you admit it's NOT such a member!

  So your case is both a fallacy (it relies on subset
  membership that does not exist) and is contradictory,
  since you both (a) concede that the membership is null
  and yet (b) directly imply that the membership exists.

  It seems to me, Erik, that your simply engaging in
  gratuitous cruelty against some very good people.
  You argue that ExI falls into the definitional set
  of "cult," then note that it's not your fault that
  "cult" has negative connotations, as if your just
  an innocent bystander in this, and yet then you do
  all that you can to rub that negative connotation
  in a deeply as you can (as illogical as I've just
  shown it to be), obviously, simply BECAUSE you
  know it's hurting some very decent people. Why?

  I don't know why you would engage in such cruelty,
  but I would say that such persecution falls into the
  set of "traits of bad cults." Since you most assuredly
  hold some principles, and since they probably conflict
  with ExI principles, it follows that not only is your
  line of attack false, not only is it contradictory
  (since the set membership implied, you admit does
  not exist), but it's also a contradiction since
  your attack falls in the set you erroneously
  attempt to frame ExI as being a member of.

VISIT Ian Williams Goddard ----> http://www.erols.com/igoddard

REV. ROGER WILLIAMS ---> http://www.erols.com/igoddard/roger.htm