Re: SOC/ECON: Critique of the anti-globalists

From: Spike Jones (spike66@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 22:34:58 MDT

Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> I, for one, want all ingredients listed on my food. If someone invents
> something new, and puts it in my food, I want it listed on the ingredients.
> I know that I will make better choices than most people. However, I don't
> want my food labels to hide information from me because some idiot down the
> street is scared by terms he doesn't understand....

I agree, and if the marketing people do this right, people will be tripping
over each other to get GM foods. Just look at the market for dietary
supplements that are supposed to have one beneficial effect or another.
People take all kinds of risks to take herbal medications, perhaps under
the mistaken belief that some governmental agency has tested them and
declared them safe. If they marketed it especially to young people as
some athletic enhancement, extreme food, etc. they would sell as much
GM stuff as they could possibly produce, at higher prices than their wimpy
"organic" counterparts. spike