Re: free markets:programing in Opensource

From: Felix Ungman (felix@hu.se)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 04:10:30 MDT

On fredag 22 juni 2001 11.47, Eugene Leitl <Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>I'm a bit boggled by
>
>1) the hostility
>2) that one has to explain the painfully obvious

I just discovered that in the US (ironicallly), intellectual property is granted on the basis of the common good. Here in Sweden its based on the aknowledgement of something akin to a "natural" right of the author to posess control of his works.

Alex F. Bokov wrote:
>Felix:
>> Otherwise we'll be doomed to a life as the self-supporting farmer on
>> the open commons of computation.
>
>I don't know why it would be so bad to be a self-supporting
>info-farmer.

Ever heard of the Tragedy of the computational commons?

/felix