Re: Living under water

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@aeiveos.com)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 01:36:23 MDT

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Technotranscendence wrote:

> On Monday, June 25, 2001 9:39 PM Waldemar Inghdahl

> > For us that value the social, economical and cultural advantages of that
> > which the economist Friedrich A. Hayek called the extended order- a
> > society with long reaching division of labour, well diffused contractual
> > relations, and efficient production of wealth- a hermit's life in
> > isolation seems unacceptable.
>
> I appreciate that too and to these I would also add psychological needs.
> Humans have needs for friendship, affection, and even approval. Economic
> needs are not the only reason to live with other people. (See "Why Man
> Needs Approval" by Marsha Familaro Enright in _Objectivity_ 1(2)
> http://www.bomis.com/objectivity/)

Waldemar's posts make my head ache -- most probably because I have
to stretch so far out of my hermit's life to relate to them.

I'll simply point out some observations --
- "extended orders", "social", and "economical" relations do not exist
   (or exist only at extremely broad reference points relative to
   those we are familiar with) when one considers interstellar
   civilizations.
- The concept of "a hermit's life in isolation" is the "ground
  of being" for advanced civilizations in the universe.
- "psychological needs" are entirely a product of evolution --
  once we have our "hands" on the dials the "conventional" needs
  become irrelevant (i.e. Waldemar's/Daniel's perspectives are
  *only* relevant for either (a) the next 20-40 years a most; or
  (b) if significant fractions of humanity choose *not* to play
  with the dials; or perhaps (c) if the Sysop AI says no-no-no,
  you don't get to change your own code...

If we are the first species to encounter the singularity (which I'll
freely admit the jury is still debating), then there are more than
enough Brown Dwarfs to allow each of us to become an SI. In that
situation all of this discussion of "society" & "economics",
"affection" and "approval" becomes pretty irrelevant.

On the scale of the universe, which each of you potentially
has the opportunity to participate in, you are debating whether
or not the dust that has accumulated on your kitchen table
over the last evening -- is or is not -- "appealing".

Robert