Re: ASTROPHYSICS: Magnetic fields stiffen space time

From: Adrian Tymes (wingcat@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 00:18:19 MDT

John Clark wrote:
> Adrian Tymes <wingcat@pacbell.net> Wrote:
> >Am I reading this right as: "(massless) magnetic fields can generate gravity"?
>
> That looks like what he's claiming. We already knew mass is not the only thing
> that can warp space and time, that is, create gravity, pressure can too.

Ah, but pressure derives from mass, no? (Even magnetic pressure -
massless by itself - only exists with regard to charged particles with
nonzero mass.) Magnetic fields, to my understanding, can be increased
by increasing particle velocities (current in a wire) without directly
increasing mass (neglecting relativistic effects).

> >With a note that one needs large magnitudes to get significant effects.
>
> Yes indeed! Pressure only becomes important when it's VERY high, like
> inside a Neutron star. Probably the same is true of magnetism.

I wonder if this could be related to the minor levitation effects,
attributed to antigravity at the time, above spinning condutor disks.
Likewise, I wonder if this might be a gravity-like effect on charged
particles which is actually just known electromagnetics.

...or could it be that, at high enough temperatures, where all matter
is in a plasma state (and thus, all matter is ions), matter tends to
form itself into plasma wires and conduct current to create magnetic
fields, thus rendering electromagnetic force and gravity equivalent
(with a conversion factor) at those temperatures?

Just a random thought.