Re: ASTROPHYSICS: Magnetic fields stiffen space time

From: John Clark (jonkc@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 23:00:59 MDT

Adrian Tymes <wingcat@pacbell.net> Wrote:

>Am I reading this right as: "(massless) magnetic fields can generate gravity"?

That looks like what he's claiming. We already knew mass is not the only thing
that can warp space and time, that is, create gravity, pressure can too.

>With a note that one needs large magnitudes to get significant effects.

Yes indeed! Pressure only becomes important when it's VERY high, like
inside a Neutron star. Probably the same is true of magnetism.

  John K Clark jonkc@att.net