Re: Ex-post-extro.....

From: Spike Jones (spike66@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 22:25:31 MDT

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> Spike: The CD you gave me happened to be missing the disk, it was an
> empty case.... boo-boo. Do you happen to have one with an actual disk
> inside? BTW the room was great, your house is very cool, hope we can do
> this again....

Doh! Greg and I were looking at that disk and I thought we had put it
back into the case but it is in Shelly's machine. Offlist me your home
snail
mail @.

Glad you could stay over, Mike. I had a great time. First time Ive ever
been up past midnight 6 nights in a row. And happy about it. {8^D

Regarding our privacy debate, it was great to talk that over face to
face. I now realize I don't think we ever really disagreed, just came
with differing initial assumptions. If I understand correctly, you want
a society where trust is necessary, as in trust is a good thing, that
improves society. Trust the persons you deal with, for they *might*
have a weapon, etc. Trust but verify is not trusting, etc.

In a small town environment, I agree this notion has merit. In a
place like this, it is impractical to trust, since you cannot know the
reputations of the persons with which one must deal every day.
For instance, if one were to go to the local hardware store on
the first day of the month for three solid years, I speculate that
one would not get the same checkout person twice in that entire
36 visits. Likewise with many of the occasionally-visited stores.
Around here, anyone who has a McJob needs to be finding a
real job very quickly, for the mortgage man cometh. So the
service jobs tend to be revolving doors, as it is with many of
the other aspects of life. Reputations cannot be a practical
means of doing business.

I hope to explore the ideas further that you and I discussed,
and would like if you would expound on your quasi-debate
with Dr. Brin {or whatever that encounter should be called.}

By the way, it is Eshaun who should be thanked for the beer,
for he way overdid himself with his generosity. I *still* have
plenty left over, even after the Mikes devoured a generous
share. {8^D spike