Re: Political views?

From: Joe Dees (joedees@addall.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 23:05:07 MDT

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) >Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 20:56:25 -0700
> Spike Jones <spike66@attglobal.net> extropians@extropy.org Re: Political views?Reply-To: extropians@extropy.org
>
>Joe Dees wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, voter bribery by politicians (as in campaign promises of tax cuts) is not illegal,
>
>Promising a tax cut is bribery? But its *our* money,
>not the government's money.

And the hoi polloi want all those juicy government services provided gratis, as if by magic, for free. They would as surely vote out anyone who cut them out as they do those who raise taxes. This point illustrates the schizophrenically self-serving, something-for-nothing mentality of, sadly, too many Americans.

>I fear we may have seen the last major tax cut before the
>singularity, for in just 10 years, the baby boomer population
>begins to become creditors of the government by becoming
>eligible for Social Security. Those masses will then not be
>the least bit motiviated by tax cuts. Indeed they would logically
>oppose them, for they will want to continue to collect their
>money from the still-working masses. spike

Here we agree; prescription drug coverage under medicare is as good as done; it's just a matter of time.

Looking for a book? Want a deal? No problem AddALL!
http://www.addall.com compares book price at 41 online stores.