Re: Godhood vs Children

From: Felix Ungman (felix@hu.se)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 06:20:21 MDT

On tisdag 12 juni 2001 07.21, fdoubt@hushmail.com wrote:
>Who has time for kids? I know that several posters I admire very much here
>do have children, and several don't. Excuse me for asking such an inane
>question: Why?

I recently became a father myself (a month ago). It's of course a very personal choice to have kids, but I would say:

Do you want to take the time to be a teacher, practicing your values? One of the best ways to learn is to communicate your knowledge to others. More importantly, do you want to take the time to have a mentor? One who doesn't take anything for granted, and who will constantly remind you of our inherent capability to learn and grow. Do you want to have a friend of a younger generation, so that you'll stay updated with the latest culture and language?

In my experience you tend to shift priorities once you have a child. You'll surely have to rearrange you whole life. But having little godlings shouldn't neccesarily conflict with your current goals.

/felix